For all projects that include irrigation within the public right of way, the following shall apply:
- All irrigation mainline shall be Schedule 80 PVC, and all laterals/sleeves shall be Schedule 40 PVC. Sleeves shall be 2x the size of the pipe being sleeved.
- All irrigation mainline and laterals shall be a minimum of ¾” size.
- Contractor shall pay for all permits and construction costs for the Department of Water and Power (DWP) to conduct any street work (trenching), mainline/sleeve installation in the street and sub-water meter installation and reduced pressure backflow preventer review.
- Billing address must be provided when applying for installation of the sub-water meters.
- Contractor must file the application prior to start of construction.
- Contractor to contact the City in order to establish utility service and billing addresses.
- Utility service must be established prior to tree/shrub installations.
- The Reduced Pressure Principle Backflow Preventer, related equipment and irrigation controller shall be installed on private property.
- All irrigation equipment (for both concrete and landscape areas) shall be installed in traffic-rated concrete valve boxes with traffic-rated cast iron lids with a double toggle locking mechanism.
- All valve box lids shall be embossed with the initials of its contents in min. 1-1/2” high letters: RCV, QCV, ARV, FV, etc.
- Irrigation equipment includes remote control valves, flush valves, air relief valves, quick couplers etc.
- Location of Irrigation Mainlines and Laterals
- All irrigation mainlines within the public right of way shall be 24” below finish grade.
- All irrigation laterals within the public right of way shall be 12” below finish grade.
- Below vehicular access areas, irrigation mainlines within the public right of way shall be 36” below finish grade, sleeved.
- All irrigation shall be pop-up spray/bubbler heads and/or sub-surface drip irrigation. No fixed risers are allowed within the public right of way.
- Direct burial wire shall be #14 gauge and shall be placed at 24” below grade taped to mainline where applicable.
- All drip irrigation shall be subsurface type, a minimum of 2” to 4” below finish grade, not including mulch.
Latest Revision - October 15, 2019