The clearance category, clearance status, status date and clearance agency staff name are shown for each distinct clearance category for the individual clearance(es) that are associated with the permit application. A clearance is an authorization that is needed before the permit can be issued.
As part of the process of obtaining a permit from LADBS, Applicants are required to have BOE review and approve plans prior to a permit being issued (Clearances) as well provide approvals for Certificate of Occupancy (CofO) per LAMC 91.109.3 - Issuance of Certificates once all required public improvements have been completed (ACOS).
These requirement are in place to protect the health, welfare, and safety of the public and to meet the required improvements associated with the permit. BOE will provide both "Clearances" in the Building & Safety software system called Plan Check and Inspection System (PCIS) under two different modules:
The following is a list of building permit clearance items (as of July 2019) that BOE could be asked to clear during the Clearance Summary Worksheet clearance process (Clearances Module) or the Certificate of Occupancy or Temporary Certificate of Occupancy (ACOS Module) clearance process.
- Community Plan Implem. Overlay: Compliance with BOE requirements in CPIO (Clearance Summary Worksheet and ACOS)
- Address Approval: Address approval for residential addition /alteration creating additional unit(s) (Clearance Summary Worksheet)
- Address Approval: New or unrecognized address (Clearance Summary Worksheet)
- BHO/Hillside Ordinance: Acknowledge sewer connection availability for dwellings on lots located within 200 feet or less of an available sewer mainline, per Hillside Ord. (LAMC 12.21.A.17.(g) or LAMC 12.21.C.10.(j)) (Clearance Summary Worksheet and ACOS)
- BHO/Hillside Ordinance: Acknowledge streets along lot frontage(s) are minimum 20-ft wide, or if not, that the improvements have been guaranteed (B-permit) or ZA approval obtained (LAMC 12.24.X.21 or X28) (Clearance Summary Worksheet and ACOS)
- BHO/Hillside Ordinance: Identify street classification (Standard or Substandard) and improvement/dedication required per Hillside Ord. (LAMC 12.21.A.17(e) or LAMC 12.21.C.10.(i)) (Clearance Summary Worksheet and ACOS)
- Bicycle Parking: Bicycle parking spaces in the public right-of-way (Clearance Summary Worksheet)
- Drainage to Storm Drain: Site drainage to a storm drain easement (Clearance Summary Worksheet and ACOS)
- Encroachment in Public Way: Encroachment in Public Way (Clearance Summary Worksheet and ACOS)
- Eng Process Fee Ord 176,300: The fee authorized by Ord. 176,300 for PW/Eng to process clearance(s) for LADBS issued permits (Clearance Summary Worksheet)
- Flood Clearance: New/significant improvement for flood zones A, AR, V1-V30, AO(AF) and A1-A3(FW)-(Call CRS Coord (213) 485-4820. Appointment is required. Call first.) (Clearance Summary Worksheet (handled by Streets and Storm Drains and ACOS (handled by Bureau of Sanitation)
- Highway Dedication: Lot subject to highway dedication. NOTE: This sign-off is not to be construed as a sign-off on any engineering requirements associated with any planning/discretionary action. This is strictly a sign-off application to LAMC 12.37 only. (Clearance Summary Worksheet and ACOS)
- Marquee Approval: Board of Public Works approval for construction of a marquee (Clearance Summary Worksheet and ACOS)
- Miscellaneous: Approval for: (Clearance Summary Worksheet and possibly ACOS)
- Miscellaneous: Early construction for small lot subdivision (Clearance Summary Worksheet and ACOS)
- Permit: Permit for construction of driveway/curb ramps/sidewalks (Clearance Summary Worksheet and ACOS)
- Roof/Waste Drainage to Street: Roof and/or site drainage to street (Clearance Summary Worksheet and ACOS)
- Sewer availability: Sewer availability and connection (Clearance Summary Worksheet and ACOS)
- Street Width Determination: Verify street width meets current standards per LAMC 12.37.H for 2nd unit in zone allowing single family dwelling only (Not Used)
- Watercourse: Construction within natural watercourse (Clearance Summary Worksheet and ACOS)
- Work Adjacent to Public Way: Work adjacent to or Removal of Lateral Support of Public Way (Clearance Summary Worksheet and ACOS)
- Plan Check and Inspection System (PCIS): Plan Check and Inspection System (PCIS) is the on-line system maintained by Building & Safety to track plan check, obtain clearances from all development agencies, schedule inspections, record inspection results, and issue Certificates of Occupancy. The system was implemented in 1995/96
- BOE Clearances For Building Permit Applications (Clearance Summary Worksheet): Provide a clearance(s) of public works requirements for a Building & Safety Application for a permit (PCIS "Clearance" Module). The approval of access to public streets and other public works clearances is a preliminary requirement on all building permit applications. These approvals nearly always result in the subsequent issuance of permits (A, B, S, SD, and E) to construct or alter improvements in or affecting streets or other public easements. LADOT approval may also be required.
In reviewing applicable items on the building permit application, verify the requirements for the item have been met, then sign and date in the appropriate space to indicate clearance of this particular item (this is in addition to clearing the item(s) electronically). When information provided on the building permit application is inadequate for approval, BOE would not approve the clearance and the Applicant would be required to return to the Department of Building and Safety with the request to furnish the needed information. If any of the required items cannot be cleared, the Applicant shall be advised that the requirements pertaining to that clearance may necessitate changes in design and/or building layout.
If additional Public Works clearances are required, BOE would contact LADBS and ask the assigned Plan Checker to add the clearance to the system by completing the Add or Delete Clearance PCIS Form.
- Certificate of Occupancy (CofO) Clearance (ACOS): Defined by LAMC 91.109.1, was created in order to safeguard life and limb, health, property and public welfare, every building or structure and every trailer park shall conform to the construction requirements for the subgroup occupancy to be housed therein, or for the use to which the building or structure or trailer park is to be put, as set forth in this article. Certificate of Occupancy (CofO) Clearance: Provide a clearance(s) for the Certificate of Occupancy once the Building & Safety permit holder is ready to occupy the building (PCIS "ACOS" Module). To obtain sign off of a Certificate of Occupancy (CofO) from the Bureau of Engineering, the applicant must:
- Have the on-site construction accepted by LADBS
- Has the applicable Highway Dedication been completed
- Have the public improvements inspected and accepted by BCA
- Temporary Certificate of Occupancy (TCofO) Clearance (ACOS): Per LAMC 91.109.5, Temporary Certificate of Occupancy was designed to allow TCoO if the Superintendent of Building finds that no substantial hazard will result from the occupancy of any building, or portion thereof, before the same is completed, and satisfactory evidence is submitted that the work could not have been completed prior to the time such occupancy is desired because of its magnitude or because of unusual construction difficulties, and the City Engineer has reported that all required public improvements have been completed, the Superintendent of Building may issue a temporary Certificate of Occupancy for any building or portion thereof. The Superintendent of Building may issue a temporary Certificate of Occupancy notwithstanding the fact that all required public improvements have not been completed, if the Superintendent of Building finds that the failure to complete the public improvements was due to circumstances over which the person applying for the Certificate of Occupancy had no control. If public improvements have not been completed, TCofOs are not desirable, as they are often problematic. Issuance of TCofOs should be discouraged since obtaining a TCofO can allow for utilities to be turned on or a delay in completing the required public improvements without obtaining final CofO from LADBS. In order to QUALIFY for TCofO clearance sign off from BOE, the Applicant must:
- Required Highway Dedication shall be complete
- Required public improvements completed and inspected and accepted by BCA, OR
- If public improvements are not complete, but are substantially complete, the Applicant must:
- Demonstrate that the failure to complete the public improvements was truly due to circumstance beyond the control of the applicant.
- Have the Final Inspection Correction List (from BCA) presented to the B-Permit Counter.
- Mitigate any safety related conditions so the condition of the public improvements present no hazard (traffic, pedestrian, drainage, excavation, etc.)
- If the public improvements are NOT substantially complete, the Applicant must have "I.a-c" above as well as concurrence from the appropriate Council District office.
- If public improvements are not complete, but are substantially complete, the Applicant must:
Once the Applicant qualifies for TCofO the following are REQUIRED to obtain sign-off from BOE:
- BCA must have no objection
- All deficit construction fees must be paid
- Adequate Bond must be posted for completion of the improvements, including the amount necessary to cover as-built plans
- Sewer connection must be complete
Laws, Codes, and Regulations Related to Building & Safety Clearances
- LAMC 63.112 - Street Address Numbers – Authority and Duty of City Engineer
- LAMC 63.113 - Street Address Numbers - Responsibility Therefor, Designation, Location, Size, Maintenance, Change and Removal
- LAMC 63.114 - Base Lines
- LAMC 63.115 - Street Address Numbers - Odd and Even Numbers
- LAMC 63.116 - Block Numbers and Spacing
- LAMC 91.109 - Certificate of Occupancy
- LAMC 91.109.3 - Issuance of Certificates
- LAMC 91.109.5 - Temporary Certificates
- LAMC 12.21.A.17(g) - Sewer Connection (Hillside Area)
- LAMC 12.21.C.10(j) - Sewer Connection (Base Hillside Ordinance)
- LAMC 12.21.A.17(e) - Street Access
- LAMC 12.37 - Highway and Collector Street Dedication and Improvement
- City of Los Angeles Brownbook
- Building & Safety Clearance Handbook