Frequently Asked Questions – Maintenance Hole “MH” Permit

Revised on 05-24-2024


How do I obtain additional information or contact the City?

BOE has an on-line Customer Service Request (CSR) Portal (located in the Customer Portal) that allows members of the public to request additional information about processes and procedures as well as discuss permit related issues with BOE staff.  Instructions on how to use the CSR Portal can be found in this manual under Customer Service Request (CSR) Portal.

Who can apply for a “MH” Permit?

“MH” Permits are issued only to owners of the respective maintenance holes, owner’s authorized representatives, and licensed sewer or storm drain contractors.

How long is the “MH” Permit valid?

“MH” Permits are valid for a period of one year starting January 1st and ending December 31st of the same year.

How soon should I apply for a renewal of a “MH” Permit?

In order to receive your permit by January 1 of the following year, applicants should start the application process in November of the year of the valid permit.

How long will it take to get my Maintenance Hole Permit Card?

Once a permit application is approved and paid for, the applicant can print the cards directly from the permit application website.

Where can I get a “MH” Permit?

Only the Central District of the Bureau of Engineering located at 201 N. Figueroa, Suite 300, Los Angeles, CA 90012 can issue this permit.  The permit can be applied for on-line or in person at the counter. 

What if I want to cancel my permit?

If you wish to cancel a permit, you must do this in writing to the Central District.

What exactly does the Maintenance Hole permit allow me to do?

This permit ONLY allows the applicant or their carded representative the ability to open the maintenance hole.  NO PHYSICAL entry into the maintenance hole is permitted.

  • First
  • Previous
  • Next
  • Last