Bollard Installation Additional Information
All of the information contained in the new checklist and guidelines is contained above. No other R-Permit's are done this way including others that are for Sidewalk Encroachments.
Applicants may also be required to coordinate with other City Department and/or Bureaus, depending on the location of where the bollard is being placed. These departments may include:
- Bureau of Street Lighting (BSL) Encroachment Permit
- Minimum 48 inches clear spacing to a streetlight pole, traffic signal pole, or other utility pole.
- Bureau of Street Services (StreetsLA), Urban Forestry Division
- Minimum 72 inches clearance to base of tree without a tree-well. Deviations from this requirement will require approval by BSS - Urban Forestry Division
- Minimum 72 inches clearance to transit furniture. Deviations from this requirement will require approval by BSS - Transit Furniture Program.
- Minimum clear distance of 30' from the bus stop post, parallel to the street. However, bollards may be placed at the back of a sidewalk with a minimum 9' width AND sufficient Pedestrian Access Route (PAR).
- Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD)
- Minimum 60 inches clearance from the fire hydrants
- Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD)
- LAPD should only provide validation to BOE on the necessity of the safety installation
Bollard Installation Plan Sheet Requirements
To better assist Applicants with obtaining an R-Permit for bollards, the following should be included on the plan sheet(s). Addition information about Sample Bollard Cross Section and Sample Bollard Project Site Layout for bollards can be found under Design Standards of the R Permit section:
- Existing sidewalk/parkway culture
- Frontage dimensions of the parcel with address clearly identified
- Frontage dimensions of adjacent properties with address clearly identified
- All property lines clearly delineated and labeled as “property line”
- Distances/Dimensions required to be shown include:
- Two (2) projected dimension lines (dashed with lengths), one from each end of the parcel frontage property line, perpendicular to and extending to the back of curb.
- Location, width, and content of any existing parkway. Include the dimensions of the sidewalk width beyond parkway to property line.
- Shortest distance from the bollard to the curb face
- Shortest distance between bollards
- Distance between bollards, from the center of each bollard
- Shortest distance from the bollard to the property line
- Shortest distance from the bollard(s) to any above ground features. Above ground features may include:
- Street furniture
- Fire hydrants
- Mail boxes
- Street lights
- Newspaper dispensers
- Parking meters
- Street signs
- Power poles
- Curb ramps
- Vault/maintenance hole covers
- Existing and proposed trees and tree wells