1 - "B" Permit Purpose & Definition

Revised on 06-01-2023

What is a Class "B" Permit 


Bulls-eye IconThe "B" Permit is most frequently issued for major improvements adjacent to land under private development. In these instances, the extent and type of major improvements required is contained in conditions determined by the Department of City Planning, BOE (the City Engineer), the City Council, or some other jurisdictional body in accordance with the Los Angeles Municipal Code, City Charter, State Law, or City Ordinance.

"B" Permits may be issued to private parties or to governmental agencies with the exception of those under direct control of the City’s Board of Public Works. The project is financed by the permittee, although in certain cases the City may participate in the financing by a contract with the subdivider or the other property owner involved. For example, the City may pay the excess cost of an onsite sewer for a tract if future needs require a sewer of greater size or depth than would otherwise be required. Authority for this City financial participation is provided by LAMC 64.11.2(g). Contact the Coordinating Division, Agreements Section, to process City sewer participation contracts.

The applicant on a "B" Permit must be the owner of the property involved. An exception is a government agency which lets a contract wherein a "B" Permit is required; the contractor shall be the applicant and he shall sign the application and bond.

If the property is owned by a corporation, the application must be signed by an officer of the corporation and be impressed with the Corporation seal. An original signature must be used on the original application.


Magnifying Glass IconA "B" Permit is used for the design and/or construction of major street, sewer, storm drain and structural improvements where new grades, elevations/depths, and structures will be created through any property or right of way owned by or under the control of the City.  A "B" Permit may be required, per LAMC 18.05(J) 2-3 - Private Streets, Lot or Building Site StandardsLAMC 17.05 - Design Standards, and LAMC 62.105 - Streets, Sidewalks and Other Improvements - Permits Required,  when making similar improvements on private property where the "B" Permit would be used to confirm the improvement being made are to the satisfaction of the City Engineer so that in the event the improvement are later submitted for dedication to public use. The City is not bound to accept the improvements if they are not in a condition satisfactory to the City Engineer at the time they are offered for acceptance for public use.

The "B" Permit is different from the Class A-Permit in which all construction is relatively minor and joins existing elevations or the S/SD-Permit which is for sewer or storm drain connections only (LAMC 62.106.b).  In addition, sometimes a property owner wishes to improve the public improvements along the frontage of his/her property. This known as a “voluntary improvement” and all street widths and other improvements must comply with current City standards.

Plans for B Permit projects are usually prepared by a private consulting engineers engaged by the permittee, or in the case of a permit issued to a governmental agency, by the government engineer or a private engineer.  

Additional information about the types of permits an Applicant should apply for based on the scope of work, can be found under "Other BOE Permits/Processes, Technical Procedures, Permit Classification Matrix". 


Scales of Justice Icon

There are many municipal codes that apply to B Permits because of the multi-discipline plans that are submitted as part of the project. 

The following are the primary municipal codes that directly apply to processing "B" Permits.