The process of clearing a Building Permit for Certificate of Occupancy (CofO) is done through the LA Department of Building and Safety's (LADBS) Plan Check and Inspection System (PCIS) under the module called Automated Certificate of Occupancy System (ACOS). Applicants can also utilize the ACOS Applicant Checklist provided in this manual.
BOE Staff should be checking the ACOS queue daily to review all new projects requiring BOE for approval.
- BOE Staff to login to PCIS with your Username and Password
- Click the “ACOS” button to enter the ACOS Module
- Click on the “Desc” drop-down menu and select one of the Public Works clearances “Highway Ded”, “Open Permits” or “Sewers”.
- Click on the “Search by Office” drop-down menu and select the District office providing the clearance.
- All new clearances (projects) will be listed with a status of “Verification Sent”
- Click the “Search” button to display a list of permits that are in the que which require CofO clearance
- Review project for Public Works requirements (complete the below processes for each clearance that requires approval)
- Click the “Conditions & Clearances” button to review PCIS clearance items for permits (A/B/S/SD/E) and Highway Dedication
- Click each individual clearance item on the list and read the Comment section to determine outstanding Public Works clearances
- If the Comment section requires the customer to obtain a permit:
- Copy (the text from the Comment section (Ctrl + C)
- Close the “Conditions & Clearances” window
- Click on the “CofO Clearances” tab
- Click on the appropriate Public Works clearance item (either Highway Ded, Open Permits, Sewers)
- Paste (Ctrl+V) the text into the Comment section.
- Click on “CofO on Hold” from the Clearance Status drop-down menu.
- Click on “Update” to save.
- Review NavigateLA for any MapNotes about the subject project
- Update the ACOS Clearance Status to:
- Not Applicable: If not required for that particular clearance
- Pending: If BOE personnel require additional time to determine the status of that clearance item. Add notes to the Comment window, as necessary.
- CofO on Hold: If a permit or dedication is required prior to CofO. Be sure to copy notes to the Comment window (ie. permit numbers, R/W numbers, etc.) as described in Section 1.2.3.
- OK for CofO: If the CofO is approved for that clearance. Add any appropriate notes to comments, the date, and your initials.
If public improvements have not been completed, TCOs are not desirable, as they are often problematic. Issuance of TCOs should be discouraged since obtaining a TCO can allow for utilities to be turned on or a delay in completing the required public improvements without obtaining final CofO from LADBS.
In order to QUALIFY for TCO clearance sign off from BOE, the Applicant must:
- Have all the required public improvements completed
- Have the public improvements inspected and accepted by BCA
- If public improvements are not complete, but are substantially complete, the Applicant must:
- Demonstrate that the failure to complete the public improvements was truly due to circumstance beyond the control of the applicant.
- Have the Final Inspection Correction List (from BCA) presented to the B-Permit Counter.
- Mitigate any safety related conditions so the condition of the public improvements present no hazard (traffic, pedestrian, drainage, excavation, etc.)
- If the public improvements are NOT substantially complete, the Applicant must have A-C above as well as concurrence from the appropriate Council District office.
Once the Applicant qualifies for TCO the following are REQUIRED to obtain sign-off from BOE:
- BCA must have no objection
- All deficit construction fees must be paid
- Adequate Bond must be posted for completion of the improvements, including the amount necessary to cover as-built plans
- Sewer connection must be complete