1 - "A" Permit Purpose & Definition

Revised on 10-04-2023


Bullseye IconThe purpose of the A-Permit is to allow minor street constructionImage of sidewalk, bike racks, planter and parklet on a downtown street in the public right-of-way. The public right-of-way generally consists of street easements that contain City streets, lanes, alleys, parkways, and sidewalks. The public right-of-way also includes public easements and unimproved streets. Construction within the public right-of-way is under the jurisdiction of the Department of Public Works, Bureau of Engineering (BOE).

Minor street construction consists of new driveway installation and repair, sidewalk installation and repair, curb and gutter repair, and installation of streetscape fixtures and street tree wells. It also includes installation of curb drains and street repairs for minor excavations in or near the street. It is further limited to work that will not alter an established flowline of a gutter or alter the existing grade of a sidewalk or street.

The A-Permit is the City’s process of confirming that minor street construction meets City design and material specifications and that construction work is properly inspected. The A-Permit process verifies both the City and applicant receive a quality construction product.

There are currently no requirements on who can apply for an A-Permit, but generally it is the property owner(s) or their representative.  Proof of ownership is not required to apply for an A-Permit.  A-Permit applications can only be started or received via the on-line system or by an applicant coming into a District Office and applying for the permit with City staff.  Although the process for issuing an A-Permit is the same for on-line and in-person applications, the procedures for processing the permit for a specific construction type will vary.  Instructions on how to apply for a project specific A-Permit can be found in the A-Permit Technical Procedures section under A-Permits .

One common type of minor street construction that requires an A-Permit is work to repair sidewalk damage caused by street tree roots. Applicants for this type of sidewalk repair are often homeowners and property owners adjacent to the damaged sidewalk. An A-Permit for repair of sidewalk damage due to tree roots does not require the applicant to pay a permit fee and is considered a "No Fee" permit. The District Offices of BOE requires a picture of the damaged area so they may waive the fees. To prevent future street tree root damage, tree roots must be trimmed or the tree must be replaced. Tree root trimming may damage the tree if not done properly. Prior to trimming street tree roots, a Street Tree permit issued by the Bureau of Street Services is required. (The A-Permit must be obtained prior to requesting the Street Tree permit.)


Magnifying glass graphicA-Permits shall include only the repair, construction or reconstruction of curbs, sidewalks, driveway approaches or gutters and work appurtenant to the repair, construction or reconstruction of curbs, sidewalks, driveway approaches, gutters, or work within a public easement. In the opinion of the City Engineer, the work is generally limited in scope, of simple design and the standard permit fees will, with reasonable certainty, compensate and reimburse the City for the costs of inspection and supervision (Summarization of LAMC 62.106.(a)).

The most common elements of work (limited to work that will not alter an established flowline of a gutter or alter the existing grade of a sidewalk or street) in A-Permits include, but is not limited to:

  • New driveway installations
  • Driveway repair
  • Sidewalk installation
  • Sidewalk repair
  • Curb and gutter repair
  • Installation of streetscape fixtures (bicycles racks, speed humps, parklets, parkways landscaping, etc.)
  • Street tree wells
  • Curb drains
  • Street resurfacing/repairs for minor excavations

The A-Permit will be issued for minor street construction once the applicant provides all of the necessary information and complies with A-Permit requirements. All A-Permit construction work shall be performed in accordance with the latest edition of the “Greenbook”, Standard Specifications for construction.  If the proposed work in the right-of-way will alter the established flowline of a gutter or alter the  existing grade of a sidewalk or street, a "B" Permit will be required in order to construct the work. 

Additional information about the types of permits an Applicant should apply for based on the scope of work, can be found under "Other BOE Permits/Processes, Technical Procedures, 06 - Permit Classification Matrix". 


Graphic of the justice scale