A parklet is an expansion of the sidewalk into one or more on-street parking spaces to create people-oriented places. Parklets introduce new streetscape features such as seating, planting, bicycle parking, or elements of play. Parklets encourage pedestrian activity by offering these human-scale “eddies in the stream,” which is especially beneficial in areas that lack sufficient sidewalk width or access to public space.
LADOT has prepared the following documents for parklets (current as of October 2017), all of which can be downloaded from http://peoplest.lacity.org/parklet/.
- Parklet Application Manual
- Parklet Kit of Parts
- Parklet Technical Appendix
Because much of the upfront work is completed with LADOT, the A-Permit process is streamlined.
Completing the Application
Community Partner may submit an on-line application or come to the counter to complete the application
- Confirm there is a signed copy of the MOU between LADOT and the Community partner. Upload this document to your file.
- Community Partner to pay for the A Permit. The A-Permit fees include the inspection of the parklet “connections” to the pavement, curb, gutter or sidewalk.
- Community Partner to schedule inspection